I can tell my kids they need to read and that it's good for them... or.... I can just quietly fill the house with zillions of amazing books. BOOKS ARE EXPENSIVE and I don't have money to buy all those books, and I don't have the space to store them... so.. SO I LOVE THE LIBRARY.. . but I gotta be honest it's hard to go to the library dig through all the shelves.. So I don't. Here's how I do it.
1. Get a library card (it's FREE) from the library.
2. Ask the librarian to help you set your pass code. They will help you set it up right there at the front desk.
3. At home, go to https://www.fvrl.bc.ca and use your library card and use library card number and your pass code to log in.
4. Google things like "hilarious read aloud picture books for kids" or "great books for 12 year old boys" ... you get the idea. Tons of people out there have blogs and love making lists for you. Or click on the 2 links provided below:
5. Enter the title of the book you would like into the search box at the top of the library web site
6. Once you've found a book you would like to read, click "PLACE A HOLD"
7. Wait for library to send an email.
8. Go pick up your books! They organize them on a shelf near the entrance according to your last name. If you can't find them, just ask the librarian for help!
9. Put your books in an easy to see shared space in the house. Mine are in a basket by the couch.
10. READ IN FRONT OF YOUR KIDS! Read their books. Read your books. Read to yourself. Read to them. Read out loud. Read silently. Just READ!
11. Bring your library books back ... and ... Repeat!!
Good literature is good literature. C.S. Lewis, a fantastic author who wrote for both adults and children said, "“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.” If it's good literature, kids will read it and it will enrich their lives, inspire, challenge, and enlighten them... and YOU too.